Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Grant's Busy Day

Grant had a super busy day yesterday! 
It all started when I dropped him off at preschool and we got this note:
All the 4+ kids at Grant's school got to go to the Enid Fire Department in their big school van! Since he doesn't go to school on Fridays or Mondays, we apparently missed the memo on this field trip! But it was well received! He said he was a little scared to leave the school without me, but he said he never cried and had a great time at the Fire Station!  He also got to be the helper of the day, which is a big deal when you're in preschool! He wore his "helper tag" proudly the rest of the day!! 
Then after some playtime at the church gym, errands, and a nap at home, it was time to gear up for swimming lessons! He's really enjoyed his lessons, other than the last two minutes of the first day which ended in a trip to the ER. The first day of lessons, he tested out of the beginners class, and one of the tests he had was to go down the long twisty slide. He didn't want anything to do with that slide! But I was hoping by the end of his session, he'd try it. However, he said he wouldn't do it til he turned seven!!! But last night- he not only did it once, but he did it twice!! You could see caution written on his face on his long walk up the ladder, and the excitement all over his face as he came down the slide! His little face popped up out of the water and he had to swim a few feet to his teacher. Then he hopped out of the pool, and ASKED to do it again!! I was so proud of him! Time was up after his second time, so who knows how many times he would've done it!! (I will take a picture of the slide at tomorrow lessons. Why don't I think about those things at the time?!)  
So, his brave adventure earned him a trip to Cherry Berry (a self-serve frozen yogurt place, that I'm kind of surprised Enid has in the first place!) He got to pick all sorts of goodies on top of his chocolate frozen yogurt- he picked chocolate rocks, Nerds, and white chocolate chips!! It was a treat for all of us!
 Another big part of Grant's day was during homework time. He's been on the verge of reading for a little while now, and last week in the car, I was asking him how to spell certain CVC words, like Dad, Mom, dog, etc. So during homework time yesterday, I let him use my phone to play a game. And he spelled and read through ALL the short A words on the game!! He thought he was pretty cool, and I was VERY proud of him!! I think I'll be having a little reader on my hands in no time!!
                     
It was a big day for my big boy and I am super proud of all his accomplishments he's made so far!! I love watching him grow and learn new things and gain confidence as he builds his skills!! He makes a mama proud!!

No comments: