It all started with a simple beginners swimming lesson. Grant ROCKED it- I mean jumped off the side, went under water, swam across the pool, and went off the diving board. The teacher said he needed to be moved up into the next class because he was too good, so we stayed for another 30 minute session immediately following the first. Again, he ROCKED that session, but that is where he will stay for now! We were soooo proud of him! He swam his little heart out, smiling the whole way (well, until close to the end of the second session when he couldn't stop shivering!). He absolutely loved it!!! So after 58 minutes of swimming lessons, he got to play in the play area of the pool that has a slide, water fountains, and a big mushroom thing. In that last two minutes, he made a diving move to go under the water coming out of the mushroom, and he apparently overshot it and hit the pole with his face, specifically his chin. He looked at me and mouthed, "I'm ok, I'm ok." But it was time to get out of the pool anyway and as he walked towards me, I saw blood gushing from his chin. The instructors immediately swarmed up, and the main instructor said, "He's going to need stitches."
Surprisingly, this is our first experience with Grant at the ER. I can't believe he hasn't had broken bones or anything yet, he's so tough and crazy! But that gash needed fixing! While at the pool getting bandaged, he sat so calm and so still. He never got upset, freaked out, whined, or anything!! When we got to the ER, we went back to the room, and the doctor said they could just use glue to seal it, but he said it stings and most kids freak out. But Grant said he wouldn't, so we went ahead with it, and the kid didn't even flinch. Not once! He was more concerned about being able to see the TV while the glue was drying because the Transformers movies was on! He was absolutely AMAZING!!
I'm not sure I've been more proud of him than I was tonight, and in two separate moments! Watching him excel at swimming, and thoroughly enjoying himself made my heart race! Watching him be brave, and calm, and strong while going to the ER made my heart swell! Makes me so thankful to such an amazing kid!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment