Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Mission Southside

For the boys' birthday party, they collected travel toiletry items to donate. We had planned to deliver them to the Kansas City Rescue Mission, but couldn't find a weekend to get out there as a family (and its not in an area I'd like to go by myself with kids) so we decided to bring our donations to Mission Southside in Olathe. They typically have a "drop box" style of donating, but I wanted the boys to really see and understand where their items would go. So we came inside to drop off. One of the men who works there told the boys about how there are kids in our town, maybe even in their school, who can't afford toothbrushes, or soaps, etc. Their parents have to make the tough decision to buy food or toiletries and most often, the toiletries are luxury items. That was so eye-opening for them and I am so glad they were able to make a difference in another child's life! Mission Southside even wrote about them on their FB page:

Later that day, Wyatt said, "I was so close to crying tears of joy. I was on the 9th stage. The 10th stage would be tears of joy. I was on the 9th stage when we left the donation place because I was just so happy. I was so happy because this was just such a great day! Everything was so great!"  
They are already thinking about what to collect next year!!!

No comments: