I can't believe this, but I will never see this again. My little Wyatt boy gave up sucking his thumb! I mean, he is almost 7 and this should've happened long ago! But how he sucked his thumb ever had an impact on his teeth, so I never felt the urge to really push it. But is it wrong to say that I kind of miss it? Because I do! I feel like it was the last thing that was keeping him "little."
His thumb sucking kind of evolved over the years. It went from just when he would see his lovey to doing it in the car without his lovey, to pretty much just anytime- other than anywhere in public! Even the hand he used to suck his thumb changed off and on. Sometime around age three he had a "preferred thumb" and an "emergency thumb." I think he used it as a sun-shield in the car because he held his fingers up to his eyes. It really was a multi-purpose tool ;-)
Since he's stopped sucking his thumb, we've definitely seen him a little less snuggly and a little more "grown-up" acting. I guess it really was the one thing that was keeping him "little."
This whole stop-sucking-your-thumb talk came up because he still hasn't lost any teeth yet. We told him that as soon as one of his teeth falls out, he has to stop sucking his thumb. We told him it was probably better to try and stop now as opposed to waiting. We thought it might be a long process. So one day, we were at Ikea and he saw this cool loft bed and wanted it so badly. So Levi told him that whenever he stopped sucking his thumb, that could be his reward because we knew it was going to be something difficult for him to do. We expected it to take a few months. Well, we should've know better because this kid has a drive like none other. He sets his mind to something and it gets accomplished. So within a bout 2 weeks, it was a done deal. He stopped sucking his thumb. He even went on a road trip and didn't suck his thumb one time! So he earned his bed (another post!) and he couldn't be more proud of himself! He does say from time to time that he misses sucking his thumb and he wishes he could do it again! But to be honest, I know I will crave him crawling into my lap and snuggling in with his thumb in his mouth! The baby days of my little baby are all gone!
THESE moments I will miss the most!!!



1 comment:
Good job letting go Wyatt! :)
Post a Comment