Poor Wyatt came down with pneumonia, and a pretty severe case! It started with a hoarse voice the night of my birthday, and by the next morning, he had a fever over 103 and a terrible cough. After a trip to the doctor and a quick listen to his lungs, she said it was pneumonia. Since we caught it early enough, he didn't need to rush to the hospital or anything, she just gave us an antibiotic. We started it right away, but the poor guy was just miserable! Couldn't sleep, couldn't cough because it hurt so bad. I'm pretty sure he ate an entire box of popsicles in one day. The next morning, I was hoping he would be a tiny bit better, but he was still the same, except had the worst diarrhea you could imagine! Like, can't leave the bathroom, let alone the house for more than 5 minutes! So now he was doubly miserable!! We made another trip the dr, and this dr. gave him a new antibiotic (because now we know he's allergic to Augmenten), 10 days worth of oral steroids, and a breathing treatment system, and about sent us to the hospital for chest x-rays. But after the first dose of breathing treatment, we could tell it was going to make a world of difference for him, so he sent us home with that to use 3x day for two weeks, without having to make a trip to the hospital!!! So between the oral steroids and the breathing treatment, each day he got better and better, thank the Lord!! Mama was running on fumes at this point. And just as Wyatt started to turn a corner, Grant got sick!!! Seriously, why does that stuff happen!?!? Super high fever for FIVE days, horrible cough, but really no other symptoms!! Luckily, as soon as he got a dose of Advil, he would perk right up. He's such a tough kid, nothing really brings him down. So we didn't head to the dr with him....until about a week later when a rash showed up. I knew right away that it was a strep rash. Of course, it showed up on a Saturday morning, so we headed to urgent care, where he earned a shot to the behind of penicillin. Poor guy was sooooo brave! I was happy he chose that over 10 days of antibiotics, because I honestly didn't want to go through that whole routine AGAIN!!!
So finally, about two weeks after this all began, the sicknesses were gone, the antibiotics were done, the breathing treatments were finished. It was a long two weeks of constant care, but I am so thankful that my babies recovered easily. My heart goes out to the parents who are dealing with childhood illnesses far worse than these. As tired and grouchy and frustrated I was, I kept praising God for letting these illnesses be small and minute compared to what could happen!
Wyatt's version of sick looks very different than Grant's version....
1 comment:
Goodness, I'm sorry you guys had to go through this. I'm so thankful they recovered well and kinda quickly! You are totally right though, I always think how thankful I am for healthy children and my heart just aches for those who to deal with illness on a whole different level. I'm so glad that sickie spell is over for you guys! No fun!! You did get some great pictures of those boys. Sweet sleeper & smiles too!
Post a Comment